Thursday, December 25, 2008

"I see dead people."

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." from Everlasting Man by GKC.
The Bible gives many metaphors: "living water," "the Spirit lives within you," "We are dead in our trespasses and sins." If we do not have the Spirit living within us then we are dead. There are a lot of dead people walking around on this earth. They fool us by eating and sleeping and breathing. They fool us in a lot of ways. Their products look attractive to us, but what they produce should be anything but attractive.
I rise from my bed with glassy eyes. I can lift my arms, I can even run, but my heart does not beat faster because I do not have one. No one sees into my soul because it is too small. This is what I picture of myself had I not tasted this "living water" that I was so freely given. I say given, and yet, I chose to drink it. God in His grace chose to save me and yet I chose salvation. The Spirit came to dwell within me. Wake up Spirit, don't sleep. Be ever watchful and ever mindful over my soul which is ever grateful.
Now, instead of floating along with every other dead fish, I've grown legs and walked through the knee-deep, rushing waters. It may seem perilous at times, but we're really only given two options: walk against the stream and thus perpetuate yourself, or lie down and die. I get tired and want to lie down. The world may be spinning faster but the orders have not changed, so when I get tired I must walk. (can anyone tell me where that last allusion came from?:)

1 comment:

The R said...

Let me guess..."The Little Prince"?