Friday, December 12, 2008

My mind sees in color, it's more fun that way.

I have secretly always wondered what it would be like to be colorblind, what "colors" would you see exactly. I hear the usual "shades of gray," but I feel it runs deeper than that. It's like not being able to taste spice. The world is filled with so much beauty that can only be beheld through the eyes of color. Just like food that makes a great presentation but lacks flavor. I took a picture and made it black-and-white. It wasn't until this that I noticed I had removed the reds and yellows of Fall from the background, making it rather unsavory. It took removing the color for me to notice it. I've always liked Cinderella's mantra, "Don't know what ya got 'til it's gone!"
This proves true time and again. Whether it be family that you take for granted or that job you grumble about, think of how insipid life would be without them. The same is similar for things that I have ardently pursued in the past. I didn't realize how vapid my life was until God dramatically changed it, and I was able to see more clearly the object that I pursued and what I was missing. He had given me color, but not the ability to see it, therefore I had neither.
Chili without taste,
a beautiful woman without a face,
elegance without grace.
Tell me, where is one found without the other?
Blindness erased.
Vapidity replaced.

2 comments:

Contrary said...

Lydia,
I just found your blog and I like reading your thoughts. It makes me miss you even more.

Thomas Banks said...

Good words.

Merry Christmas,

Thom