Friday, December 5, 2008

my tired eyes roam the well-worn night

In a study, Romeo y Julieta stare into each other's eyes at my elbow, The Brothers K is finally dry after being saved from a watery fate, the three bouncy beauties I was babysitting are asleep, and coffee is calling me. Hmm, what is this? The Vampire Diaries next to Beowulf and the Bible? I wonder what's in that jug trying to hide under a blue t-shirt. It's not working, I know you're a jug. This is not a "study" per se. It does not have scarlet walls and bookshelves floor to ceiling. It's more unique than that, like an I Spy book. I spy a carbon dioxide tank. I spy pool chemicals. I spy a crate full of empty beer bottles asking for more homemade brew. I hear the humming laptop, and that is all. I'm thinking of all those things I could be doing right now... Chemistry, reading, calling, baking cookies, sleeping, but I am enjoying doing nothing way too much. Wandering around a house that isn't mine, the quiet stillness of it, the smell of coffee, and the offer to watch tv. I could go for a swim, it's only cold enough to freeze my organs. I could lie on the couch and stare at the ceiling or beat myself in checkers, or start writing a recipe book.

Ok, one computer crash and a plenitude of puke later and I am back to finish my post. It's hard being small, but she was brave. I thought I might throw up, but had to suck it up and clean it up. No more throw-up in the hair, bed sheets, blankets, pjs. All clean and back to sleep. Adieu, I'll pray for you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.