Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Baal

It seems I see a trend with Christians: when things start looking bad, better to get out rather than risk contamination. To stay is to get tainted and that would put the Christian reputation in question. So boy-cots occur after the problem becomes irreversible. But the problem for Disney is not that a few thousand Christians decided to boy-cot them, the problem was asking gays into their heart instead of Jesus. Deeper problems of morality exist and so the problems continue and even grow. Thanks for the warning by the way, Disney, that was great, just great!

As Christians it is also easy to get the "only" mentality. That you are the only Christian in a mile-wide radius. Elijah. So we get unmotivated and shy, passively giving our rights as Christians away one by one. So slowly we don't even realize it. I guess that's when we're relying on our own strength instead of God's. "And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away." ~Elijah "Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him." ~God (I Kings 19:14,18)

And my thoughts turn to the movie industry. A place many people (myself included) look to for the really debauched. So we try not to associate ourselves with the like. "Instead of trying to influence Hollywood by becoming a part of it, Christians avoided it and told their children to do the same. The only time that Hollywood heard from Christians was when boycotts occurred." ~ Dallas Jenkins http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/djenkins/2009/04/29/why-are-christian-movies-so-bad/ You could say, "well, at least they heard from us." But that didn't last long, and that wasn't good enough. And since Hollywood and the whole West Coast has not detached and sank into the ocean yet, we still continue to be dissatisfied with the messages they are sending to a theater near you. So the Christians' response was to remove themselves from the scenario and start producing Christian movies.

As a defense, I would not want to raise my kids in Hollywood either. But how do we stay in the world and not of it? Make your own films! Tack a message to the end. Forget the acting and script part, that's not important. Yeah, kinda missing the point. Movies are made to be entertaining. I don't need a film with a "message" at the end every time. I already know the message. I'm seeking to be entertained! Nakedness and vulgarity do not entertain me either, nor does the gay and/or debased best friend that has to be in every movie as the side-show. I want a movie with a story line, good script, not one that disgusts me and I have to fast-forward through the sex scene,and put up with the vulgarity and cussing. It's a good thing I didn't grow up on this stuff. I might think that the "typical" couple is not married, but rolls out of the same bed in the morning, threatens to break up at lunch time, lives separate lives until dinner, meets up at a restaurant to get back together, and has nightmares about actually marrying each other.

So either route, Christian flicks or non, ya can't win. Do I feel like being bored or disgusted tonight, honey? I guess that's why I stick to comic book/action movies. Blood and guts don't bother me. Immorality disgusts me. So I have to remind myself quit often of Ecclesiastes and remember: Even in the midst of this, don't get discouraged, and do not envy the wicked. But remember to be strong. Be honest. Be morality when there is none. And pray that Christian story lines will prevail.

No comments: