Monday, December 27, 2010

Eggnog

I was going to attempt eggnog for the first time, but I wanted just the right texture and taste. Not too thick (like drinking whipping cream) and not too egg-y. So I set to reading the back of cartons at the store, as well as several recipes, trying to decide what to put in the stuff; whether to cook or not to cook, to whip or not, and yes even to add eggs or not. I almost gave in and bought the carton because "I want it NOW", but remembered the taste not being just what I was looking for. Besides it being so easy to make, I would be drinking high-fructose corn syrup if I got store-bought! I am glad I made it from scratch. WAY better. So I thought I would share this recipe. Not too sweet, nor too thick, and just right on the alcohol. ;)

2 egg yolks (save whites for later)
pinch salt
2 c. milk
(A Tablespoon of agave syrup can be added here if you prefer it sweet, but I omitted all sugar and sweetner because the Frangelico to come sweetens it delightfully.)

Bring double boiler to a simmer. Whisk yolks in a small sauce pan, add milk, and cook (continually whisking) over double boiler until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. About 5-10 mins. Chill mixture for at least 30 mins in fridge.

2 egg whites
1/2 c. whipping cream
2T-1/4 c. Frangelico hazelnut liqueur
2T-1/4 c. Rum

Meanwhile beat the remaining 2 egg whites on high of an electric mixture until stiff peaks form. Also whip cream until soft peaks form. Combine whipped egg whites, cream, and chilled egg yolk mixtures and mix, add alcohols to taste.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Lydia, Thanks for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to try it! Lance and I also wanted to try some eggnog around December and he had some before which was pretty good stuff, BUT not to be found around here. So, I must admit we bought the Southern Comfort wiskey to go w/ some Dutch eggnog that was made w/ Real Cream. The combination of the 2 was too sweet for our liking, but I of course drank all of mine anyway since I was always taught to finish all my food and drink like a good little girl :)... So out of desperation we grew to like the eggnog all by itself only because we din't have someone like you to do the much needed research for us and find the recipe we needed. Love ya. Oh and sorry that I never did respond back to you on your last comment to me after the Wodehouse contest (congrats on your winnings), and wanted to say I miss you too! Tootle pip, old fruit. :)

Lydia said...

Glad you finally found a good recipe ;) I can't take anything too sweet as well, but I too must be a good little gal. Cheery-ho